Monday, August 15, 2011

Fun with images!

Laura-Jean of Fresh Collective has been working on re-branding her line, Fresh Baked Goods for the past year.  At our Fresh Collective University meeting last month she presented an inspiration board with all sorts of words and images to represent her new brand.  It really took me back to my years at Ryerson.  The first step to each project was to create a theme board and present it to the class.  After presenting her board, Laura-Jean then asked designers to volunteer to make and present one for the next class.  My first thought was ugh, I already have so much work on my plate.  Now that I'm done school I don't need to do this sort of thing anymore.

But to be honest, I've been having so much fun with branding and playing around with images lately that I broke down and volunteered!  So I spent a good chunk of my weekend with magazines and computers and scanners to create these exciting them boards!


I started out with words that inspired a lifestyle.  I came up with: gypsy, hippie, adventurous, in nature and artiste (my colleague Shannon of Things Aren't So Terrible put on a vest at the store earlier in the year and said it made her feel like an "artiste".  I think she meant it mockingly but the word stuck in my brain).  Originally I was going to make only one board but after having all these separate yet similar images I decided to go with four.  I then elaborated furthere with words evoking feelings/lifestyles and ones evoking more visual and tactile elements. 


One of the important things about inspiration boards is finding the right images.  They have to be high (print) quality and they have to be original and inspiring.  Nothing like the pixelated clipart type images that a Google images key word search would turn up.  During my time at Ryerson, one of my favourite places to get such images was the library.  I would go to the children's section because those books always have the most fanciful illustrations.  I would take the books to the copy shop, get colour copies made and then collage them into fun scenes and compositions.  I didn't even think to use a scanner . . .


So for this round of inspiration boards I thought, where to start?  I haven't done one in about 4.5 years!  I used to do a lot of collaging for fun.  I would collect images from everywhere: magazines, postcards, posters on the street etc.  I still have a box full of clippings so I went through it.  Next I went through the small collection of magazines I have stashed away.  These were great for finding all the inspired backgrounds and scenery I used in the boards - key for setting the mood!

The collaged body parts are also taken from fashion magazines.  I love the playfully chaotic compositions that come together when you borrow an arm here, a head here, some extra hair from over there.   But this time instead of trying to find exactly the right size head or arm I was able to resize them in Photoshop.  Who would have thought? 

 
Next and most importantly came the outfits.  Having plenty of past photoshoots to pull from, I took garments from Paper People past, cut and collaged them together to emphasize layers, textures and colours.  It made me wish I could make clothes like these in real life but isn't that silly?  I DID make all these!  And then lastly, each post got a prop to tie in the mood or lifestyle that each board is trying to convey.

I had so much fun with this project.  I was going to wait till the next Fresh Collective University meeting to unveil these but I've just spoiled the surprise!  I guess I needed to spice up my Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment